Two important aims of Ayurveda are: 1.) to maintain the health of a healthy person and 2.) To remove the root cause of disease. Today, I will focus on the first part which is a very important aspect of maintaining our health to an optimal level, and the role of Rasayana to achieve this goal.
Rasayana, literally refers to the means of ‘obtaining an optimum nourishment to the Dhatus(tissues)’. According to Acharya Sushruta, the substances which decrease the aging process, increase longevity and increase the mental as well as physical strength and which destroy the disease process are classified under Rasayanas.
Rasayana could be classified as: 1.) Aushadha Rasayana- Based on drugs and herbs; 2.) Ahara Rasayana- that which is based on diet and nutrition; 3.) Achara Rasayana – based on conduct and behavior.
Benefits of Rasayana therapy: Amongst the numerous benefits of this ayurvedic chikitsa, few are listed below:
1. It enhances intelligence, memory power, will power, body strength, skin luster, sweetness of voice and physical strength.
2. Rasayana is believed to improve metabolic processes, which results in the best possible biotransformation and produces the best quality bodily tissues.
3. It nourishes the whole body and improves natural resistance against infection by increasing our immunity power.
4. Rasayanas rejuvenate the body in general by sustaining the required balance between anabolism and catabolism.
5. It prevents wasting of muscles, delays the aging process, keeps strong bones, improves whole body circulation, prevents graying of hair, and provides good sleep and appetite.
There are several, diverse numbers of Rasayanas which are available to be used in daily life. I will present on few of these in more detail in upcoming newsletters.
Contact Om Sanduja, Ayurvedic Wellness Counselor at Vedichealth.org to explore the suitability of a particular Rasayana which will be best suited to your Prakriti and beneficial to enhance your health, vigor and vitality. Namastay !